I have specialized training in the field of Sports and Exercise Psychology. While coaches typically focus on the physical aspect of sports, sport psychologists focus on an athlete’s mind. As a Sports Psychologist, I help athletes from junior athletes to professional athletes from various associations including NFL, PGA, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc., achieve their greatest potential both personally and professionally. I understand the impact physical and psychological factors have on an athlete’s ability to perform, which is why I coordinate services and tailor treatment to fit the needs of each individual athlete. Through my treatment, athletes will lead healthier, more meaningful lives by developing their mental toughness, enhancing their personal motivation, managing their emotions, and learning the skills to set and achieve their goals. By integrating various treatment modalities, from motivational techniques to guided imagery, I help athletes and teams struggling with a variety of issues including, but not limited to:
- Mood Related Concerns
- Anger Management
- Conflicts with Teammates
- Communication Issues
- Marital Conflicts and Related Concerns
- Family Issues
- Team Cohesion
- Societal Pressures
- Personality Disorders
- Stress and Anger Related Issues
- Media Psychology
- Adjustment Issues
I am upbeat, professional, knowledgeable, and qualified. I offer specialized assessment and treatment services including, but not limited the following:
- Cognitive Restructuring
- Empowerment Exercises
- Focus Training
- Stress Management
- Emotional Regulation
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Guided Imagery
- Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Team Building Exercises
- Anger Management
- Goal-Setting Techniques
- Personality Testing
- Mood Disorder Assessment including Anxiety and Depression
- Marital Couple Counseling
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
I employ a collaborative, focused approach that helps the athlete, team, trainer, and/or coach achieve optimal athletic performance and personal development.
Overall, sport psychologists also help athletes:
- Enhance performance in order to help athletes overcome obstacles and achieve their full potential.
- Cope with the internal and external pressures of competition: I help athletes at all levels deal with pressure from parents, coaches, the media, or even their own expectations.
- Injury Recovery: Post injury, athletes can benefit from help tolerating pain, adhering to their physical therapy regimens or adjusting to being sidelined. There may have been emotional distress experienced before, during, or after the injury.
- Adherence to an exercise program can be challenging especially for those who want to regularly exercise and achieve their goal. Through our work together, I help increase motivation and overcome any related concerns.
- Enjoy sports and exercise. My role is to educate parents, coaches, and athletic trainers about how to help children and adolescents enjoy sports and how to promote healthy self-esteem.
Sports psychology can also help people off the playing field. The same strategies that sport psychologists teach athletes are also useful in the workplace, classrooms, and other settings. (http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sport-psychologists.aspx